Everbuild Mirrormate Sealant & Adhesive
EVERFLEX MIRROR MATE is a one part, chemically curing solvent free sealant and adhesive combining the best qualities of silicone and polyurethane sealants. It is specifically designed for adhering most common mirrors to all common substrates without attacking the backing. In addition, this product has numerous other uses as a sealant and adhesive in and around the home.
- • Totally neutral cure adhesive system – will not attack mirror backings
- • Also suitable for use as a sealant - will also seal around mirror edges.
- • Will even stick to damp surfaces.
- • Excellent primerless adhesion to most surfaces, including metals, most plastics, concrete, plaster, plasterboard, polyester, Perspex, glass, wood, enamel, painted surfaces etc.
- • Non Hazardous preparation – unlike typical solvent based alternatives.
- • Overpaintable with most water and gloss based paints.
- • Sanitary quality – highly resistant to mildew and mould growth.
- • Fast curing – tack free in 10 minutes and fully cured in 24-48 hours.
- • Excellent chemical resistance.
- • Many other uses – see below.
Areas For Use
- • Bonding mirrors to most common substrates.
- • Automotive gap filling and sealing
- • External and internal perimeter pointing around doors and windows, especially in mobile structures such as caravans and boats.
- • Sealing vertical expansion joints.
- • Jointing cladding panels.
- • As a high quality nail replacement adhesive, even to damp surfaces.
- • Bonding difficult materials such as specialised polymer systems, metals and fibreglass
- • Any application requiring high performance, durable sealing and bonding of joints.
- • Applications where resistance to chemical spillage is required (garage forecourts etc).
- • When fixing mirrors, always provide temporary support until the adhesive has dried (24 hours).
- • Use in conjunction with mechanical fixings for large mirrors.
- • Use on overhead mirrors – Always use in conjunction with mechanical fixings.
- • Do not seal mirror edge until adhesive has cured.
- • Not for use where joints are constantly immersed in water, or as part of a structural glazing system.
- • Not for use in aquarium manufacture. Use AQUA MATE
- • Not for use in conjunction with bitumen, or asphalt. Use WEATHER MATE
- • Not for use on highly porous surfaces such as new concrete or stonework. Priming is advised or use SILICONE 450.
- • Not for use on substrates that may bleed oils, solvent or plasticisers.
All surfaces must be clean and dust free. Surfaces may be damp, but have no standing water.
Cut the tip of the cartridge taking care not to damage the thread. Fix nozzle, cut aperture to required width and apply with a standard sealant gun.
Apply 6mm diameter beads of sealant direct to back of mirror in vertical strips, spaced at 30-40mm centers. Immediately place mirror in position and secure with good, even pressure with a slight twist action. Provide temporary support (tape) until adhesive has dried (24-48 hours). If required, MIRROR MATE may also be used to seal around mirror 24 hours after fixing.
As a sealant
Reference should be made to the recommended joint ratios. If necessary reduce joint depth using Everflex Expanding Foam, or Joint backer rod. Furthermore, ensure that the joint design only permits adhesion to two surfaces, as three sided adhesion will impair flexibility.
Where the sealant is used in a joint configuration, masking tape should be used to prevent contamination of adjacent substrates, and ensure a neat sealing line. Masking tape should be removed immediately after tooling. The joint should be tooled within 5 minutes of application to ensure good contact between the sealant and the substrate. Tooling of the sealant also gives a smooth, professional finish.
Uncured material can be removed by wiping with a dampened cloth with white spirit. Cured material can be carefully removed by mechanical means. Full cure must be allowed before overpainting.
As a nail replacement (panel) adhesive.
• Surfaces must be sound, clean, dry and free from dust, grease, loose material etc.
• Prime dusty surfaces with EVERBUILD PVA BOND diluted 1:4 with water and allow to dry.
• Apply using a standard sealant gun, cut tip of cartridge, apply nozzle and cut an opening to suite the required bead size.
• For bonding heavy items (Plasterboard/worktops/wall panels etc) apply adhesive all the way around the edge of the item (30-50mm from edge) and cover back with beads of adhesive at 300mm intervals. Alternatively, apply adhesive direct to battens and press into place. NOTE.
• With heavy items, always provide temporary support until the adhesive dries.
• For bonding lightweight items (covings, dado rails, skirting etc) apply adhesive to back of item in one or two continuous beads and press immediately into place.
• Where gap filling is required, mark the areas where there is a large gap and apply a thicker bead to these areas.
• In all cases, clean up excess adhesive immediately with a damp cloth.